Friday, July 8, 2011

My Creativity: A History

I’ve been crocheting for about 11 years now and never really got past the basics, i.e. blankets, scarfs, etc., until Summer 2010 when I was pregnant with my daughter. I was only working part-time during the day while my husband worked full-time on the graveyard shift. I was alone every night. Uncomfortable. Suffering from insomnia (pregnancy will do that to ya).

With nothing but time on my hands and knowing we were having a girl, I thought to myself, “Self? Let’s make some cute crocheted flowers for Baby K…..just in case she has hair. If she doesn’t? Well, then we can glue some clips on the back of the flowers to clip onto ‘brain-squeezers’.” Only one problem with that…..I couldn’t crochet a flower if my life depended on it. Blanket? Sure. Scarf? No problem. Flower? Not on your life.

My husband (we’ll call him ‘Dadoo’) has a cousin who crochets incredible things so I asked her if she could teach me how to crochet a flower. Yet another problem. She lives about 45 minutes away from us and I really don’t ever drive to her neck of the woods unless there’s a family function. I told ‘Dadoo’ that I had asked his cousin to teach me and, the genius that he is, suggested I look for a video on YouTube. I hadn’t even thought of that! Brilliant!

So I searched for a video and found several. I started out with the pretty basic of flowers and eventually branched out. Next, I tried making little baby beanies. They’re pretty simple. The trick is getting the sizing right….which I didn’t do with the first one I made. Super cute hat….I just made it too small :/ Oh well. After I mastered the beanie, I decided I wanted to add ears to them. Mission accomplished.

The most amazing thing I’ve made so far……is the Bearded Beanie.

Our friend, we’ll call him ‘El Presidente’, was talking to Dadoo about snowboarding. Somewhere in the conversation came up the little tidbit that I know how to crochet. El Presidente got all excited and said, “Look at this dope picture! It’s a Bearded Beanie! I have been looking for someone who can make one for me because I really don’t want to pay $40 for one online!” My translation of this was, “No one knows how to make this.” to which I internally replied, “Challenge accepted.”

I scoured the internet for instructions on how to make a Bearded Beanie. Sure there were patterns out there, but you had to pay like $10 for ‘em. Not gonna happen. So I found a pattern for something similar and tweaked it :)

Thus, the Bearded Beanie was born!



I have since then tweaked the beard a bit more to make it look more natural. I think I’ve sold a total of 14 Bearded Beanies :) And I had great advertising during the ski season because Dadoo and El Presidente both wore their beanies every time they went snowboarding!




I have to admit, I am quite proud of my handy work.

Eventually, I got tired of crocheting (and my hands cramped something fierce) so I decided to try the whole ‘singed flower’ project. I had no idea what I was doing and didn’t know what one of my friends was talking about when she was telling me about them in the first place. I told my mom about what I was trying to make and she took to the internet (amazing thing that it is) and found a blog with instructions on how to make said flowers and when I figure out how to do it, I will post a link to the blog.



Now to make a long story short, I started following a crochet blog called Mon Petit Violon. That woman is a freaking genius! I have purchased several of her patterns already and have made several cute items for my little Pumpkin.





(I even sewed the Easter dress she’s wearing.)

The next 3 pictures are just some other things that I’ve made and as I make more items, I will post pictures.









So there ya have it folks….how I truly got my start. Dadoo even told me on our way home from his parents house tonight that he’s impressed with how creative I am. Really meant a lot to me because to me, crocheting is my hobby. I don’t really consider it a talent. Anyone can do it if they set their minds to it.

Adios and vaya con Dios.

1 comment:

  1. Cute blog. You've got a lot of great talent. Can't wait to see more of your projects.

    ReplyDelete